17 March, 2008

Keeping an eye on the competition

Blog one, post one: back to the beginnning. In June 1986, golfer Sandy Lyle (right) was hitting the headlines because of his marriage difficulties. Not yet five, I had just finished Junior Infants at St Colmcilles, where the sunlight streaming onto the corridor's red floor in the old prefab gave me my earliest memory.

At that time, my parents had white paned double doors leading from the kitchen into the sitting room, where my mother was sitting with a tabloid newspaper held aloft. I entered unnoticed by my Mum, who I didn't know was there anyway because I was too small to see over the armchair. All I saw was the tabloid’s backpage. To my mother’s amazement, she heard a little voice from behind say 'MY LOVE LIFE IN SHATTERS'. A journalist was born!

1 comment:

megan said...

i dig it. but we´ve gotta get you a new photo because that one looks like a mug shot. also, you are a wonderful writer.